For employees, the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) serves as a savings tool. The employer and employee each contribute 12% of the employee’s basic salary towards EPF. It is important for employees to make a note of contributions made towards EPF on a regular basis. The entire contribution made by the employee and the employer can be found in the EPF passbook.
Your Provident Fund (PF) number, pension scheme, provident fund details, EPFO office, and the name and establishment ID of your employer can be found with the help of the EPF passbook. The benefits of having access to the EPF passbook are mentioned below:
- Individuals can plan their expenses wisely.
- Individuals can check their EPF balance.
- Loans can be availed by individuals against their EPF balance.
Every individual who is a member of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) is assigned a distinctive 12-digit Universal Account Number (UAN). The UAN remains the same throughout the employment life of the individual. In order for individuals to view their passbook, they must first activate their UAN on the EPFO website.
Given below is the list of steps to follow in order to activate the UAN:
- First, you must visit the EPFO website (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- Next, click on ‘For Employees’ which can be found under the ‘Our Services’ tab.
- On the next page, click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’ which can be found under ‘Services’.
- Next, click on ‘Activate UAN’.
- On the next page, you will need to enter details such as UAN, member ID, Aadhaar number, Permanent Account Number (PAN), name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID, and captcha.
- Once all the above details have been entered, click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You will receive a One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- On the next page, enter the OTP and click on ‘Validate OTP and activate UAN’.
Your UAN will be activated, and you will receive the password details via SMS on your registered mobile number. The password must be used to login to your EPFO account. Once you have logged in, you can change your password.
Procedure to download EPF passbook
You will be able to view and download your EPF passbook only 6 hours after you have completed the registration.
Given below is the step-by-step procedure that must be followed in order to download the passbook:
- You must visit the EPFO website (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- On the next page, under the ‘Our Services’ tab you will find ‘For Employees’. Click on it.
- Next, you must click on ‘Member Passbook’ which can be found under ‘Services’.
- On the next page, you must enter your UAN, password and captcha details. Click on ‘Login’ after that.
- Next, you must select the member ID of which you want to view the passbook.
- A PDF format of the passbook will be shown. This can be easily downloaded.
Passbooks of inoperative members settled members and for members whose PF trust is managed by the employer, cannot be viewed.
In case you have forgotten the password, you can visit the EPFO website and click on ‘Forgot Password’.
Earlier, it was very difficult for employees to get details of their EPF account as they had to visit the EPFO office or their employer. However, with the introduction of the UAN, it has become very simple for employees to get details of their EPF account. Apart from passbook facilities, individuals will be able to download their UAN card, transfer PF account, and withdraw their PF amount online easily and from anywhere.
Read more at knowandask